Monday, July 1

Birthdays

Ew!

On Friday I turn 20. I have a weird relationship with birthdays. As a child, practically every birthday was shared with my younger sister whose birthday falls three days later. I never minded sharing so long as my mom bought carrot cake and not soggy tres leches cake every Mexican family insists on having for every single celebration. (One year my mom got me a cake filled with barbarian cream, you know that stuff that’s in donuts, and it rocked.) As I got into my teens my mom stopped doing the double cake thing. Instead, she would buy me one special thing from the mall, like a Napoleon Dynamite bed set from Hot Topic. It was the best, you guys. Napoleon knows what I'm talkin' about.

Now, though, I find myself not wanting anything, but maybe a good brunch and a night out dancing. But I can see that never happening because everyone is always tired and hung over from their 4th of July festivities. Whatever. Table for one is easier than table for five at brunch anyway. 

I believe that after you turn 21 you should give up wanting special treatment on your birthday, except free drinks/desserts because those things are always over-priced so it’s cool. I honestly feel like birthdays are nothing to make a big hoot about and when girls who are 28 make a big hoot I feel sad for them. Don’t wear a stash that reads “Birthday Girl” all day long. Don’t delete everyone who didn’t post birthday wishes on your Facebook wall. Don't think it's okay to be a diva just because it's your birthday. Mindy Kaling also thinks birthdays are overrated:

Anybody can have a birthday. It requires nothing. Murderers have birthdays. It’s the opposite of anything that I believe in. And I don’t like at work where you stop everything to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to someone. I feel like that’s for children.

I am not saying to completely ignore the fact that you’ve made it another year, but don't make it a big shebang every time. 

This year, my cool boyfriend got me exactly what I wanted. I love accessories that are inspired by nature and when I saw this nest ring from Swell Caroline on Pinterest I had to have it. I was going to buy the ring as a reward for getting all A’s spring semester, but he insisted I wait and buy what I really needed (new Keds). It came early so I got to open it today. I absolutely adore it! It is lighter that I thought it would be and fits great. Swell Caroline is perfect if you're into monogrammed jewelry, and they occasionally have unique things like nest rings. 

Stay tuned for birthday gifts that I've lost.


P.S. If you haven't read Mindy’s book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(And Other Concerns), you are sorely missing out. You can find it on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or concern