Wednesday, July 3

Birthday Gifts



I remember the year my sister started waiting tables because that was the year she started buying me birthday presents. She would come home with her apron full of cash. Too young to have any real bills, she spent it like most teenagers did. On their younger sister, of course! I like to think initially she thought she could make up for wearing my clothes without permission by getting me really neat stuff. Or maybe it was just sisterly love. Whatever the reason, those were the things I always lost.

The first year she got me this clear, heart-shaped locket with charms that were related to my hobbies inside. The gift was very thoughtful, but I hardly wore it because I was always afraid it would pop open and all of the charms would spill out. Eventually, she noticed and I didn't want her to stop buying me stuff so I wore it to school. Big mistake, guys! I had to spend the entire afternoon searching the floors for a tiny softball and an itty-bitty painter's palette. I never found them so I just wore it empty after that. I think it still looked pretty. Sadly, I lost it along with a lot of other jewelry in Rome.

 The next year I received a set of Breakfast at Tiffany’s glasses. It was my favorite movie that year. I even went as Holly Golightly for Halloween. I took the glasses with me to Rome (I thought I was going to live there forever) and left them in my Ikea apartment. I use to drink blood orange juice out of one every morning. I hope they are in good hands now.




The last thing I remember getting from her was this Tootsie Roll clock. I seldom eat the chewy candies now, but still have it! Knowing my luck, I will lose it when we move next month.


 
If my sister doesn't know about my careless gift keeping she sure does now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or concern